Filter Options

Can secretly made audio or video recordings be used as evidence in Family Law proceedings?

In a recent South Australian case of Coulter & Coulter (No.2) [2019] FCCA 1290, the mother sought to introduce evidence of two video recordings she secretly made when the father attended changeover at her home, and two audio recordings that she made of private conversations between the children and the father.

Am I in a de facto relationship?

A de facto relationship is defined in section 4 AA of the Family Law Act 1975 as a relationship in which a couple lived together on a genuine domestic basis.

Should I stay or should I go? Whether to leave the home after separation

If you are thinking of separating or have separated it is best to get competent legal advice.

Smith v State of Victoria [2018] VSC 475

The Plaintiffs in this application are a mother and three children. They were the victims of multiple acts of family violence by the children’s father over the course of a decade.

Is Your Marriage Void?

The definition of marriage in Australia has been a topic of significant debate of late, with recent changes to the law same sex couples to legally marry.

Court authorisation no longer required for young transgendered people to obtain treatment for Gender Dysphoria

A Gender Dysphoria diagnosis involves a conflict between a person’s physical gender and the gender with which they identify. This can cause a person distress including anxiety, depression and self-harm.

Things to consider if you are thinking of separating

Get advice from a Family Law solicitor before you do anything as this may change what you do, for example you may still decide to separate and leave the former matrimonial home but it is important to understand and weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of leaving the home before doing so.

Redress Scheme for Institutional Childhood Abuse

The Commonwealth Government is set to introduce its Redress Scheme on 1 July 2018. This is in response to the Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Childhood Sexual Abuse.

Resolving Family Property Matters by Agreement

Section 79 of the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) (as amended) governs how assets should be divided when married or de facto couples separate.

Load more people